Build your own 8 bit computer
My own 8bit computer
6502. Because I want to.
External. To have an external address/data bus.
8x8 matrix keyboard from C64 can be reused.
Matrix keyboard controller is needed.
- I can(?) build my own one
- an old PIA 6821 or CIA 6526 can be re-used
- there is an existing solution from Atmel, but is it applicable in my case and what exact chip does it require?
- decide on CPU - 6502
- find ROM
- learn how to flash it
- make CPU boot from ROM
- decide on how to display anything on the screen
- make the video display work
- decide on keyboard controller
- make the keyboard work
- put everything in C64 case
- decide on interpreted language to implement in ROM
- implement the chosen language
- rule the world
- make SID play anything
- add a chip that will control SID
- learn the chip how to play SID files
- add SD card support
- add a display to show which SID file is being played
- add buttons to control the player (to select the file, play, pause, etc.)
- find a way to power the system (5VDC and 12VDC is required)
- add proper audio-out socket (will it be used as portable player :) or as additional element in my stereo system?)
- make sure that the output (mono) is using both channels
- find appropriate case (portable vs stereo system)